Help us expand our reach! Please share this article
The Archdiocese of Boston announced on May 20 that it has settled claims with an insurance carrier, St. Paul Travelers, for $8.5 million.
The agreement involves claims that were previously settled, including those that were part of the settlement of 541 clergy abuse claims in 2003, according to a press release. After settling these claims, the archdiocese began negotiations with the company.
St. Paul Travelers, which insured the archdiocese during the 1980s, also waived certain premiums the archdiocese otherwise would have owed, the statement said.
The archdiocese received $20 million after a settlement with another insurance carrier, Lumbermens Mutual Casualty Company, last March.
"With the conclusion of settlements with St. Paul Travelers and Lumbermens Mutual Casualty Company, the archdiocese now has resolved with its principal insurance carriers the insurance issues with respect to all previously settled claims," the release said.
"With these matters resolved, the archdiocese hopes that it will soon be in a position to begin discussions with plaintiffs' counsel about how to resolve pending cases," special assistant to the archbishop Father John Connolly said in the statement.