Home » Local »  Father Christian Ohazulume removed from ministry

Father Christian Ohazulume removed from ministry


Help us expand our reach! Please share this article

BRAINTREE -- The Archdiocese announced on Sept. 11 that it had removed a priest from ministry after receiving an allegation that he sexually abused a child.

Father Christian Ohazulume, a priest from Nnewi, Nigeria who was serving in the archdiocese, is alleged to have committed the abuse in 2007 while staying with a family in Randolph after his arrival to the United States. The victim was a seven-year-old girl who had gone to him for help with her homework.

Father Ozahulume left the family's home in 2010. Since then he has lived at St. Mary of the Assumption Parish in Brookline and worked as a chaplain at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

The archdiocese said it learned of the allegation on Aug. 31 and immediately informed law enforcement. However, the archdiocese said, authorities asked them to delay the public announcement of the accusation until Sept. 11, "while they initiated their investigation."

Father Ohazulume's home diocese of Nnewi, Nigeria has been notified of the allegation and that his faculties to minister in the Archdiocese of Boston have been withdrawn. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center has terminated his employment.

Father Ohazulume was arraigned Sept. 11 in Quincy District Court. He pleaded not guilty to aggravated indecent assault and battery of a child under 14. His bail was set at $5,000.

Associated Press materials contributed to this report.

Help us expand our reach! Please share this article

Submit a Letter to the Editor


Comment

Comments Policy