Printer Friendly Format

Obituary: Father William Carrigg, senior priest

By Father Robert M. O'Grady
Posted: 9/18/2015

Print Friendly and PDF

Father William J. Carrigg Courtesy photo

A Brockton native, Father William J. Carrigg was born in the Boxer City on Nov. 12, 1929. He was one of the six children of the late Thomas and Mora (Swift) Carrigg. He attended local schools and was an alumnus of Boston College, a member of the class of 1951. He entered St. John Seminary and was ordained to the priesthood at Holy Name Church, West Roxbury of Feb. 2, 1956 by Auxiliary Bishop Eric F. MacKenzie.

During the 45 years following his ordination, he was assigned to several parishes as an assistant, an associate or as parochial vicar: St. Linus, Natick (1956-1957); St. Ambrose, Dorchester (1957-1959); St. Ann, Quincy (1959-1966); Holy Cross Cathedral, Boston (1966-1968); St. Ann, Peabody (1972); St. Mary, Georgetown (1973-1975); St. Stanislaus (French), Ipswich (1975-1977); St. Mary (Italian), Marlborough (1977-1979); St. Anselm, Sudbury (1980-1981); St. Rita, Lowell (1989-1992); he was also administrator of St. Peter, Cambridge (1992-1993).

Father Carrigg was also on lend lease to two northern New England dioceses: Manchester (1987-1989) and Portland (1996-2000) serving in parishes in each of those state wide sees.

With the permission of Cardinal Cushing, he undertook graduate studies (1968-1972) at then Rivier College, now University, in Nashua, N.H. where he was granted an MA in English.

Bernard Cardinal Law granted him senior priest/retirement status on Jan 1, 2001. He has been assisting at St. Christopher Parish in Dorchester, where his brother Father George Carrigg is the administrator.

On Sept. 12, Father Carrigg died in Marshfield where he had been living in retirement.

Father George Carrigg was the homilist at his brother's funeral Mass at St. Christopher Church, Dorchester on Sept. 16. South Regional Bishop John Dooher was also present for the Mass. In addition to his priest brother, survivors include two sisters: Mary, Marshfield and Ann, Brockton. Father Carrigg was buried in St. Mary Cemetery, Randolph.