An architect's rendering of the new facility to be constructed at Ursuline Academy. Pilot photo/courtesy Ursuline Academy
Help us expand our reach! Please share this article
DEDHAM -- Ursuline Academy broke ground on May 16 for the construction of a new 40,000 square foot Athletic and Convocation Center. The ACC is the first major enhancement to the Lowder Street campus since the addition of a science wing in 2002. The new building will house classrooms and an innovation lab, a regulation-size gymnasium, a fitness room, gathering space, and more. It is strategically located overlooking the academic building, the playing fields, and the convent that was formerly home to the Ursuline Sisters, connecting to the schools' objective of helping students to grow in mind, body and spirit. It is expected to be completed by the fall of 2017.
In her remarks to the guests, President Rosann Whiting recognized several Ursuline alumnae for their leadership gifts, and thanked Campaign Cabinet members and the Board of Trustees for bringing the project to life. President Whiting noted that the real beneficiaries of the Athletic and Convocation Center are the current and future students of Ursuline, saying "Today, we are starting to build a house, but when it becomes a home to our students and faculty, we can truly celebrate, for it is then that they will have the building they deserve."
Remarks were also delivered by campaign co-chair Marianne LeBlanc '86, Sister Angela Krippendorf '59 O.S.U., Emily Lewis '18, and Grace Higgins '18, who closed by saying, "Let's hang banners. Let's break records. Let's break ground."
In a symbolic moment, the first spadefuls of dirt were lifted using the same shovel that broke ground for the original school building in 1958 and for the science wing in 2002.
Also on hand were representatives of project consultant Hines Project Management, general contractor C.E. Floyd, and architect Architectural Resources of Cambridge.