Pope Francis blesses a sick child in Paul VI hall at the Vatican Dec. 15, 2016, during a meeting with patients and workers of Rome's Bambino Gesu children's hospital. Responding to an Associated Press investigation, a top Vatican official said there had been past problems at the hospital, but that the current administration was making a "serious effort to resolve them." (CNS photo/Max Rossi, Reuters)
Help us expand our reach! Please share this article
VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- While there had been problems and complaints in the past, the Vatican-owned Bambino Gesu Children's Hospital was working resolve them, said Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican secretary of state, who oversees the hospital.
In responding to an investigative report by the Associated Press, the cardinal told the AP July 4 there had been past problems at the hospital, but that the hospital's current administration, put in place in 2015, was making a "serious effort to resolve them."
The AP reported July 3 that the Vatican formed a commission in 2014 to study workers' complaints and concerns about unsafe medical protocols, overcrowding and a culture that emphasized practices that might reap greater revenues.
An external audit by PricewaterhouseCoopers in 2014 determined the hospital's mission "had been modified in the last few years" by emphasizing expansion and revenues without adequate governance, according to the AP.
In January 2015, the Vatican assembled a team to conduct an announced onsite inspection of the hospital. That team, led by U.S. Sister Carol Keehan -- a Daughter of Charity and president and CEO of the Catholic Health Association -- determined the commission's report was unfounded and praised the quality of care at the hospital.