Sister Inga, OLM; Sister Confida, OLM; Sister Mary Ruth, OLM; Sister Mary Claire, OLM; Auri, Amy, Sister Caterina, OLM. Photo courtesy/Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy
From the beginning, the mystery and message of Divine Mercy has been at the heart of the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy, characterizing its spirituality and giving shape to its mission. With the proclamation of mercy as their charge, the sisters live an active-contemplative life under the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.
The Congregation was founded in Warsaw, Poland in 1862 by Mother Teresa Potocka, OLM (1814-1881). At the beginning of her religious life, Mother Potocka journeyed to France, by advice of her spiritual director, where she put herself under the guidance of Mother Teresa Rondeau (1793-1866) the co-foundress of the congregation, who had opened "Mercy Houses" which worked to help restore morally fallen women and girls. Following her formation, Mother Potocka returned to Poland as foundress bringing with her the apostolic work and rule of Mother Rondeau's congregation. Later in 1878, both the French and Polish houses merged into one order which was officially approved by the Holy See with Mother Potocka appointed as the first superior general.